Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Programming
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Programming
Topic: Printing to PDF-Redirect from DOS Post Reply Post New Topic
PRogers

Quote PRogers Replybullet Topic: Printing to PDF-Redirect from DOS
    Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 2:37PM
I have 9k+ individual existing PDF files that need to be combined into PDF files of three pages each.

Each file is named "1 pg1.pdf", "1 pg2.pdf", and 1 pg3.pdf" where "1" is 1 - 3,173. I will end up with 3,172 3-page PDF files when I am done.

I created a batch printer that would name the output file correctly but when I drag and drop the three associated files onto that printer it does not combine them; instead it prints three new PDFs.

I can open PDF-Redirect Pro and navigate to the folder but if I select the first set of three and drop them into the merge box, they are in reverse order so I have to perform 4-mouse click to order them correctly. If I use this method for all the PDFs it will work but I am certain the person who created these PDFs will make some minor change and the process will have to be repeated all over again.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to print to PDFR from a DOS batch file?
2. If yes, can the print job combine PDFs into a single file? If no, is there another way to do this in windows?

I have access to Visual Studio 6.0 but I have never used it. I have created VBA scripots in Excel before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it weren't for on-line gaming, I could still be using a 286!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 11:12PM
Hi,

Wow. Just by the numbers you are quoting, you seem like a candidate to use automation.

The batch printers will not allow you to merge PDF files together. You will need to use some sort of script (VBA is fine) to help you out.

I have created an ActiveX component with sample code in VBA and VB6 which currently supports the previous version (v2.2.8) of PDF reDirect Pro (the component itself is v2.2.6).

My #1 priority is to update the ActiveX component for v2.5 - and that should be released in 5 more days. For now, you can install PDF reDirect Pro v2.2.8 and install the ActiveX component which is available [here].

The sample code includes an example that shows you how to merge PDF files together.

I hope this helps to get you going.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
PRogers

Quote PRogers Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 10 at 2:02AM
The samples are very helpful. Thanks.

Great product by the way. :)

If it weren't for on-line gaming, I could still be using a 286!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 12:11AM
Excellent!
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
JackSy

Quote JackSy Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 9:06AM
This is nice, thanks for sharing some sample. A very creative and useful product. hire a programmer
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version