Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PDF reDirect Pro Beta
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : PDF reDirect Pro Beta
Topic: Feature Suggestions Post Reply Post New Topic
mlmiller1

Quote mlmiller1 Replybullet Topic: Feature Suggestions
    Posted: 10 Sep 09 at 5:58AM

A feature that I would find helpful is a history or last saved location button. Half of the time I want to save to the desktop, other times I want to save to a place I just dug through explorer to find.

Another feature would be a button to revert back to the default (printer sent) file name. When selecting an existing pdf to add to a print, I sometimes want to use the print derived file name.

Is it possible to have the EXP window open in the same location on the monitor as it was closed?

Is layer support coming?

Thank you for a great product. I've been using your Pro version for almost 3-years. It is great: ease of use, quality of compression, light foot print... I suggest it to anyone dealing with lots of electronic documents.

Cheers

Michael

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 09 at 8:49AM
I'll provide a full response when I come to work.

I just wanted to let you know that the "history" button is already there(in PDF reDirect Pro). Look at the "Folders" header in the program. One of the buttons has a down arrow. Click that.

Click [here] for the instructions where a picture is shown (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Cheers!
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
mlmiller1

Quote mlmiller1 Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 09 at 2:17AM
Very Nice! I never clicked on the button in all this time!...
Thanks Again!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 09 at 1:39AM
Hi,

You are welcome. About your other questions:

1. I do plan to change the Filename box to a combobox with a drop down where you can recall recent filenames.

2. For PDF reDirect to remember the Monitor would require me to add a page's worth of additional code. It's feasible, so I added it to my "todo" list, but it's just not super high on the list, so it could be a while.

3. Not sure what you mean by layer support. I'm familiar with the use of layers in PDF files, but what are you looking for in PDF reDirect to add?

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
adp9626

Quote adp9626 Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 09 at 12:15PM

Hi Michel,

I would love to be able to resize the columns, maybe make the the Folders window a little narrower, and the settings, stamps, and preview area wider.
The reason is when I maximize the Redirect Pro program, the Folders area takes up half the screen and the preview area is still too small to make out what the document actually is (i have many similar looking documents). Although I can mouse over the Preview area to see a larger preview, but from a programmer's standpoint, it requires a mouse movement and therefore I lose a few miliseconds, add that up to hundreds of documents in a 12 hour shift, I've lost quite a bit of time.
I understand it might requires a lot of coding so maybe version 3.0?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 12:02PM
Hi,

I am considering allowing resizing between the Folder/Files, but not for the preview area. However, there is a good reason for that. I need the Folders/Files area to be as large as possible in order to show the large preview.

When you place the mouse over the preview image (do not click), a large preview appears on top of the entire window (minus the settings/preview column). However, this is a feature which only works with PDF reDirect Pro, and obviously, I need to keep the extra features for those willing to pay for them.

What I do is that as I add more features to PDF reDirect Pro, I unlock others for the freeware version too so that everyone gets something "new" as I update the program.

Anyway, you can try the Pro version for free for 90 days (since original installation of the program) so give that a try if you'd like. There is nothing to download, and you can switch between "Freeware" mode and "Pro" mode via the Preferences >> General Tab >> Startup Mode.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
LEFCO

Quote LEFCO Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 09 at 7:36PM
I would like to see scanner support.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 09 at 1:02AM
Thank you for the suggestion. It is on my list of things to do.

In the mean time, I often the "scan to print" feature of my scanner, and set PDF reDirect Pro as the target printer.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
red2002yzfr1

Quote red2002yzfr1 Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 10:54AM
Just so we don't loose focus on one of the questions asked in this thread - "Layer Support".

If I am correct, in Adobe, when you save a CAD drawings, it allows for the layers to be saved and utilized in the PDF. I Am assuming that this does not happen in the software, or I don't know how to make it work.

If this is not what is meant, this would be a nice feature. I primarily PDF drawings and if the PDF has this feature,it does make it for easier the receiver of the PDF to make visual changes.
IP IP Logged
mlmiller1

Quote mlmiller1 Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 10 at 3:48PM

Another feature would be multi thread support. (or GPU support)

I use AutoCAD and print large sheets (30"x42") with multiple PDF pages (8.5"x11" scaled to fit) on each. Resulting in 15-30 pages per sheet. This system takes about an hour per sheet. Sometimes I have multiple sheets.

If there is a way to enable the other cores to cut this time down.

The sheet PDF are generated by a program called EnergyPro, by energy soft. Free demos available EnergyPro and Free demo of AutoCAD also available. Links available here http://millerengr.com/download/software/

Using Vista x64, PhenomII x4 @ 3.6 GHz, 8GB memory

CutePDF takes just as long, but plotting to a printer only takes a few min.

IP IP Logged
mlmiller1

Quote mlmiller1 Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 10 at 3:59PM

I wanted layer support from AutoCAD too. But realized that AutoCAD would need to individually send/separate the layers in order for PDFredirect to have the raw data to enable that feature.

A macro / LSP could be written in AutoCAD if PDFredirect could take multiple prints and make them separate layers in the same PDF.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 10 at 7:43AM
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately, multithreaded conversion is not currently in the works. It sounds like your projects are particularly large, and clearly you have a high-end machine, so that's not the problem.

I suspect that Adobe would provide multithreaded conversion before I would, and this alone would justify the extra cost of using their product. Somehow, it will be difficult for me to justify the development costs for a $20 product.

Your multilayer request is however feasible. In fact, you could do it today with PDF reDirect Pro by using the stamp feature (it would require a bit of gymnastics, but it could be done). I have added your request to my v3.0 todo list.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version