Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Installation Errors
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Installation Errors
Topic: reinstall Post Reply Post New Topic
tel1bash

Quote tel1bash Replybullet Topic: reinstall
    Posted: 27 Nov 10 at 12:04AM

i had to reinstall windows recently and need to know if i can just reinstall pdf redirect pro and use the original key when i first bought it. thanks for any help.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 12:00AM
Hi,

Absolutely. Your key will still be good. Send me an e-mail if you have lost your key: I can look it up, and send it to you again. My e-mail address is exp (at) exp-systems (dot) com.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 12:10AM
Hi Charles,

I am sorry to hear of the problem you experienced.

It is best to reboot your computer before installing either the upgrade (low risk) or the full installer (slightly higher risk). Most of the time, it will upgrade or install just fine, but sometimes, some of the files will be locked out by Windows, and cannot be upgraded - which creates the problem.

With a little bit of luck, we can still restore your batch printers, as follows:

Check that the Batch printer settings (.ini)  files are still located here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\PDF reDirect\Batch_Printers

If they are, then we can still recover them. I would suggest that at this time, you make a copy of the "Batch_Printers" folder (just in case).

Now, un-install PDF reDirect program using the Start Menu >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs >> PDF reDirect  >> Uninstall.

Reboot, and install PDF reDirect Pro v2.5.2. If all goes well, your Batch Printers will be re-created automatically as long as the folder I gave above is still there, and it contains the settings files.

If the Batch_Printers folder is empty, I would go to your last backup to restore the settings files inside. If you do not have a backup, then I would go to your last Windows Restore Point to restore the PDF reDirect printer to the way it was before you tried the upgrade. Once you do the restore, reboot, and run the upgrade program. That should do the trick for you.

I hope that helps.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
CharlesF

Quote CharlesF Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 3:57PM
Michel,,

Originally posted by Michel_K17

Hi Charles,

I am sorry to hear of the problem you experienced.

It is best to reboot your computer before installing either the upgrade (low risk) or the full installer (slightly higher risk). Most of the time, it will upgrade or install just fine, but sometimes, some of the files will be locked out by Windows, and cannot be upgraded - which creates the problem.

With a little bit of luck, we can still restore your batch printers, as follows:

Check that the Batch printer settings (.ini)  files are still located here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\PDF reDirect\Batch_Printers

If they are, then we can still recover them. I would suggest that at this time, you make a copy of the "Batch_Printers" folder (just in case).

Now, un-install PDF reDirect program using the Start Menu >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs >> PDF reDirect  >> Uninstall.

Reboot, and install PDF reDirect Pro v2.5.2. If all goes well, your Batch Printers will be re-created automatically as long as the folder I gave above is still there, and it contains the settings files.

If the Batch_Printers folder is empty, I would go to your last backup to restore the settings files inside. If you do not have a backup, then I would go to your last Windows Restore Point to restore the PDF reDirect printer to the way it was before you tried the upgrade. Once you do the restore, reboot, and run the upgrade program. That should do the trick for you.

I hope that helps.

Didn't help the problem. PDRD still can't see my old batch printer and I can't create any batch printers at all.

I uninstalled 2.5.2, removed the Batch_Printers folder, restarted and reinstalled v2.5.0. Still can't create any batch file printers.

Can I upload a capture of the error message here or should I do it "off forum"?

My next thing I'm going to try is to uninstall v2.5.0 and reinstall v2.2.5 to see what happens.

Btw, I can generate PDFs using the standard PDFD Pro driver using v2.50 and 2.5.2.

Regards,
Charles

Addendum: Can't create Batch printer in v.2.5 either. Hmmm

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 11:47PM
Hi Charles,

I looked at the log you sent. I have not seen this error message before: Error 1797 - The printer driver is unknown.

I did a search on the internet, and two items I found are:

• Make sure that the Windows Print Spooler Service is running (required to add/remove printers). Follow these steps:
  • Start Menu >> Control Panel
  • Choose "Administrative Tools"
  • Click "Services"
  • Find in service's list "Print Spooler" service.
  • Make sure that the service is running. If not, then run it.

• Make sure that there is not a Windows Environment variable on your machine that points to the wrong folder.
    • Access the Windows Environment Variable following the instructions [here].
    • Look for a PRINT$ variable.
    • the default location should be: %systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers.
    • If it is not there, consider copying the w32x86 folder from its default location (%systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers) to the location of the new PRINT$ share.
    • You might want to check on why the default location changed (PDF reDirect does not use environment variables, so it's not that), and investigate if you should either delete that variable (I don't have it on my system), or have it point to the default location.

Hopefully this will help with your troubleshooting.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 11:49PM
Hi Charles,

One more thing. I did find (after all) a reference to 1797 in my forums [here] with a fix for this other user that might be useful to you too.

I hope this helps,

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
CharlesF

Quote CharlesF Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 10 at 5:06PM
Michel,

Originally posted by Michel_K17

Hi Charles,

One more thing. I did find (after all) a reference to 1797 in my forums [here] with a fix for this other user that might be useful to you too.

I hope this helps,

None of these "fixes" worked. My path variable was inexplicably truncated but fixing it did not fix the Batch Printer problem.

I decided to restore a ERUNT SYSTEM and USER registry backup from a week ago and this fixed the problem. Long live ERUNT! And PDRedirect (of course) <grin>

Regards,
Charles

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 10 at 9:45AM
Hi Charles,

Had not heard of ERUNT before. Did a bit of research, and it looks like a really cool utility.

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that you got it working!

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version