Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PDF reDirect Pro Beta
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : PDF reDirect Pro Beta
Topic: 8 batch printers limitation! Post Reply Post New Topic
Simon581923

Quote Simon581923 Replybullet Topic: 8 batch printers limitation!
    Posted: 18 Aug 05 at 4:41AM

Hello again,

After tried a lot for PDF reDirect with Chinese characters and Oracle 9iAS R1, I 've got a new problem - The limitation of 8 batch printers.

Well, am I wrong? I have 35 users who are using Oracle 9iAS R1 to do some reporting jobs, therefore I need to setup at least 35 batch PDF printers for each of them.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 05 at 1:35AM
Hi Simon,

I can't remember how you have your user's setup. You could look at giving each user a copy of the program. I'm wondering, is there any reason why you can't use the same Batch Printer for all the users? Maybe I am not understanding the problem.

Michel.

IP IP Logged
Simon581923

Quote Simon581923 Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 05 at 3:30AM

Hi, I'm sorry for my poor English writing. And, let me try to explain more clearly. (I hope so! )

For example, there are two users A and B. And, they always execute the same report program REPORT1.

If we created one batch PDF printer, Batch PDF - 1, for them. And, we assigned Batch PDF - 1 to make PDF file in C:\TEST1. When A and B executed REPORT1, they did not know which PDF file was made by who. There may be REPORT1 and REPORT11 in C:\TEST1, but A did not know REPORT1 or REPORT11 made by him directly. It is somewhat more complex because Oracle 9iAS R1 will not return the file name of PDF output by PDF reDirect.

Therefore, I wanted to assign 35 batch PDF printers for 35 users and let each PDF printer point to a dedicated directory. So that, I can ensure that every users could get correct REPORT1 PDF output file for themself.

Yes, installing PDF reDirect for each user is a good idea. But we have to purchase licenses of Acrobat Distiller for each installation. Well, my boss will kill me because I spend his money so easily and quickly. Our budget is not enough for everything.

However, Acrobat Distiller is the best solution for Chinese PDF solution. That is why we are still using Distiller to be the conversion engine. According to our budget, we have to install Distiller and PDF reDirect on the same server.

Anyway, the PDF reDirect is the best solution we could find.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 05 at 10:09AM
Hi Simon,

No worries! Your English is much better than my Chinese.

I understand better. I will look at removing the 8 printer restriction in a future version.

I'm assuming that Distiller is better for you because it includes the Chinese Characters in the PDF without embedding them? That results in smaller PDF files. Is that correct? I'm wondering if I can make a "Chinese version" of PDF reDirect with the embedded chinese fonts. Not a promise: I will need to investigate to see if it is possible.
IP IP Logged
Simon581923

Quote Simon581923 Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 8:56PM

Hi MIchel,

Yes, Distiller is the best PDF creator for Chinese environment. Smaller and more correct Chinese output are the two key factors. I'd like to help you to test in the Chinese environment for PDF reDirect "Chinese Version".

Because I'm using v2.0.15 with the patched Capture.exe on the Win2K server now, I want to discuss with you for 2 more functions on v2.0.15:

1. Would you please to remove the 8 printer restriction for my customers?

2. Would you please to add the overwrite existed PDF file function?

Right now, some of my customers are using PDF reDirect v2.0.15 for testing. They asked me the same two questions. What is your suggestion?

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 9:22PM
Hi Simon,

I will re-compile the current version of PDF reDirect Pro tonight, and I will change the limit to 100 batch printers for now. I will also add the overwrite warning as you asked.

That should keep you going for now. Eventually, the number of batch printers will be unlimited.

Cheers!

Michel.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 10:00PM
Hi,

I have written the patch to v2.0.19. This will give you up to 100 batch printers.

I apologize for the "overwrite warning": it was not added. It was added for the regular freeware version of the request (I got confused).

Click [here] to download the patch (400 KB).

I hope that helps.

Michel

---------- CHANGE LOG ----------

v2.0.19 Official Release (08/22/05)
-----------------
Summary: Minor Improvements

1. IMPROVEMENT: Warning given if about to overwrite an existing PDF (freeware version).
   2. IMPROVEMENT: Can create up to 100 batch printers (Pro version).

v2.0.18 Official Release (08/15/05)
-----------------
Summary: Minor Fix

1. BUG FIX: Fixed distortion with Windows 98 for users who use "large fonts".
   2. BUG FIX: Fixed occasional DLL Error 3000 during installation.

v2.0.17 Internal Release (07/24/05)

v2.0.16 Official Release (06/29/05)
-----------------
Summary: Major Fix

1. BUG FIX: Fixed problem with PDF reDirect crashing (progress bar stuck at 20% completed).

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
lovetski

Quote lovetski Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 06 at 9:14AM

Hi,

Do you have any plans of removing the "100 batch printers" restriction altogether?

If not, could you, please, create a version with a 1000 batch printers restriction?

Currently we would like to setup approximately 150 printers, but we could need to have them more.

BTW, what is the reason for such a restriction?

Andrew.

Andrew.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 06 at 3:13PM
Hi Andrew,

There is no real reason beyond keeping the memory footprint of my program "reasonable" as I have an array that holds all of the printer settings in memory when the user selects the Batch Printer Preferences in PDF reDirect Pro. I can easily increase the size of the array to 1000, or, I can make it a dynamic array that is resized depending on how many batch printers are found. This should remove all limits except for your memory size, or Windows limits if there are any.

It seems to me that would be a lot of batch printers to install manually!

I have added your "limitless" batch printer request to my todo list for the next version of PDF reDirect. I will also increase the 100 limit to 1000 just for you right away. I will send it to you by e-mail tomorrow.

Regards,

Michel.
IP IP Logged
lovetski

Quote lovetski Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 06 at 4:53PM

Hi Michel,

Thank you for building a special version for me. Please, wait a bit till you fix all problems with batch printers (I mean my post "Printing freezes when desktop is locked"). I would like to get the version with all the fixes.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew.

Andrew.
IP IP Logged
lovetski

Quote lovetski Replybullet Posted: 12 May 06 at 3:34PM

Hi Michel,

I would like to receive a link to a special "1000 batch printers" build of PDF reDirect. All problems solved, I would like to step over the first hundred printers.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 13 May 06 at 11:06AM
OK. I am currently working on a v2.1.10 and I've decided to add e-mail and stamps to the Batch Printers right away. Probably available in 4 weeks. Do you want to wait until then, or do you want 1000 printers right away?
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
lovetski

Quote lovetski Replybullet Posted: 13 May 06 at 3:13PM

Hi.

I would like to have 1000 printers right away, please, if you don't mind. I need to setup approximately 130 printers right now. Thank you in advance!

Andrew.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 May 06 at 2:09PM
Hi,

I have increased it to 10,000 printers. It seems to work fine. Here is a zip file that you can download to replace your executable: Click [here].

Michel.
IP IP Logged
lovetski

Quote lovetski Replybullet Posted: 27 May 06 at 1:06PM
Thank you very, very much! It works great!
Andrew.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 06 at 8:34AM

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version